Jackson EMC is pleased to offer the Walter Harrison Scholarship (WHS) opportunity to help area youth achieve their educational dreams.
Walter Harrison Scholarship applications are accepted between mid-November through late January each year. You can find details of the application processes through your high school guidance counselor's office, on our website at www.jacksonemc.com/scholarships or by visiting Jackson EMC’s Facebook page when the acceptance period is open. (mid-October – late January).
Applications are now closed.
Who can apply?
- Applicants must be enrolled currently as an undergraduate in any two- or four-year accredited college, university or technical/vocational school in Georgia, either full-time or part-time; OR
- Applicants must be high school seniors who plan to enroll in or who have been accepted to a Georgia college; AND
- Applicants’ primary residence must be the household of a Jackson EMC member or employee. All Jackson EMC members and employees are eligible.
- Previous winners are not eligible for a second scholarship.
How can I apply for a Walter Harrison Scholarship?
Applicants must complete and attach the following: (incomplete application packets will not be accepted):
Acceptance letter to a Georgia college, university or technical school; OR proof of current undergraduate enrollment in a Georgia college, university or technical school.
High school transcript or current college/technical school transcript (unless student graduated more than 10 years ago).
Most recent S.A.T. or A.C.T. test scores (please note whether the SAT is two-or three part test). If you didn’t take the S.A.T. or A.C.T., you may submit a COMPASS/ASSET score (provide proof).
Two letters of recommendation.
A two-paged, typed, double-spaced (10 or 12-point font) autobiographical sketch, including references to community service and future plans and goals.
What is the deadline?
Completed application packets are due no later than 5:00 p.m. on January 31, 2020. All materials should be mailed to:
Jackson EMC Scholarships
P.O. Box 38
Jefferson, GA 30549
How is the Scholarship awarded?
Scholarships are awarded based on academic ability, extracurricular activities, community service, financial need, autobiographical sketch and recommendations. The Jackson EMC Scholarship Committee will review each application in search of the applicant(s) who best represent the values of Jackson EMC.
Then, Jackson EMC forwards those applications to the WHS Executive Committee at Georgia EMC, who makes all final decisions.
Georgia Southern University administers the scholarship fund, which is awarded in the form of a grant program, with funds being paid to the college, university or vocational-tech school. Applications must be submitted yearly. The WHS Executive Committee announces winners annually, on or before April 1, and winners are notified of the results.
- Scholarship winners must notify their EMC Scholarship Coordinator of their acceptance of the award, submit acceptance letter or other evidence to confirm admission (if student didn’t include final acceptance letter when application was submitted), and provide the name of the school they plan to attend by June 1, or they will forfeit any awarded scholarship. Scholarship use must commence within one year of date of issuance and be totally utilized within two years of the date of issuance. The school shall return any unused funds to the scholarship fund.