If you're committed to energy conservation and have a flexible lifestyle, Jackson EMC has a program that can help reduce your electric bill.
Called the Time-of-Use rate, this program gives you a year-round lower electric rate for reducing your consumption of electricity between the hours of 3 to 8 p.m. on weekdays from June 1 through September 15. Reducing energy requirements during summer peak demand periods helps us control the high cost of producing electricity in the summer. Time-of-Use rates pass those savings on to you.
Time-of-Use Rate Schedule
How It Works
Here's how it works. When you sign up for Time-of-Use rates, Jackson EMC will install a special electric meter that records the date and time, logging all energy used during peak and off-peak periods. Your cost of electricity per kilowatt-hour from 3 to 8 p.m. on summer weekdays between June 1 and September 15 will be 34.35 cents. That's about three times the normal rate, but this will be the period when you've agreed to limit your electric use. On summer weekends, at non-peak times and the rest of the year, your electric rate will be much lower — just 7.35 cents per kilowatt hour, compared to the normal residential rate of 8.81 - 11.66 cents per kilowatt hour. Each year, Jackson EMC offers a signup period from January 1 - May 1. You must sign up for Time-of-Use rates during this window to participate in the program for that calendar year. Once you are enrolled in the program, you remain on the Time-of-Use rate unless you contact us to switch to a different rate.
Adjusting Your Lifestyle
Adjusting your lifestyle can be easy. Go ahead and use lights, television sets, stereos, computers, refrigerators, ceiling and oscillating fans — just avoid using the big power guzzlers like air conditioners and electric water heaters between 3 and 8 p.m. You can switch air conditioning and water heating units off manually if you like, but we recommend you install a simple water heater timer and programmable thermostat for your air conditioner to ensure they are taken care of.
Think this would be difficult to do? Here are some simple steps that can make Time-of-Use rates work for you:
- Pre-cool your home before 3 p.m., turning the thermostat down to 74° rather than 78°, then turn the air conditioning off until after 8 p.m.
- Use ceiling fans or oscillating fans to circulate air.
- Draw blinds and drapes to keep the sun from heating up rooms.
- Minimize the opening of windows and doors.
- Don't use appliances that add heat to the house, such as the oven or stove.
- Grill out or picnic in the park.
- Enjoy dinner out.
- Cook meals before 3 p.m. or on weekends, then warm food in the microwave.
- Eat salads, fruit, sandwiches or other meals that don't require cooking.
Electric Water Heating
- Make sure the water heater is off between 3 and 8 p.m. by manually switching it off or installing a timer.
- Avoid using large amounts of hot water (washing clothes, bathing, etc.) from 3 to 8 p.m. to conserve hot water for other activities.
- Consider using an appliance timer if you have a water bed heater.
- If your home uses a well pump, limit water use from 3 to 8 p.m.
- Avoid using high energy appliances, like the dishwasher, washing machine or clothes dryer.
- Restrict hot tub use.
For more information, call 1-800-462-3691 or contact your local Jackson EMC office.