Jackson EMC is one of the nation's largest electric cooperatives.
Jackson Electric Membership Corporation, one of the largest electric cooperatives in Georgia and the nation, is headquartered 50 miles northeast of Atlanta in Jefferson, Ga. The cooperative serves more than 220,959 meters.
We have a strong market presence due to the reliable electric supply, personal customer service, high customer satisfaction and reasonable rates that we offer. Our ownership through Oglethorpe Power Corporation, in addition to strategic power contracts, gives us the ability to offer competitive rates.
Here are a few quick facts about Jackson EMC.
- Jackson EMC is a not-for-profit electric cooperative
- A portion of all "profits," or margins as we call them, are returned to our members annually.
- In December 2016, we returned $7.5 million to members who received service in 1990 and/or 2015.
- As of 2016, we have returned $115.5 million in margin refunds to our members since we first powered our lines in 1938.
Products and Services
- Reliable, reasonably priced electricity.
- Energy efficient home products and services.
- Commercial and industrial power quality and energy efficiency services.
- Commercial and residential security services through our EMC Security subsidiary.
- Jackson EMC is the largest electric cooperative in Georgia.
- In numbers of meters served, we are among the largest electric cooperatives in the United States.
- We serve more than 202,489 residential and 22,042 commercial and industrial customers in 10 metro Atlanta and northeast Georgia counties.
- Our membership is 90 percent residential and 10 percent commercial and industrial.
- Our kilowatt-hour sales are 58 percent residential and 42 percent commercial and industrial.
- Our revenue by member segment is 60 percent residential and 40 percent commercial and industrial.
- We have 80 metering points and more than 13,900 miles of energized wire.
- In the 12 months ending June 2017, we sold more than enough electricity to power a 60-watt incandescent light bulb for a year for every one of the nearly 10 million people in the state of Georgia.
- Corporate offices are located in Jefferson, Ga.
- District offices in Gainesville, Jefferson, Lawrenceville and Neese.
- Engineering and Operations Centers in Lawrenceville, Jefferson and Oakwood.
Wholesale Power Supply
- To ensure reliable power supplies, we work closely with our generation and transmission partners, Oglethorpe Power Corporation, Georgia Systems Operation, Georgia Transmission Corporation and our national marketers to develop lower cost power reserves.
- Our average kilowatt-hour costs run 17% below the national average.
- In the last 10 years, Jackson EMC's membership has increased more than 16 percent, while the kilowatt-hours sold in a 12 month period increased 24 percent.
- In that same period, we've strung an additional 1,524 miles of energized wire – enough to stretch from Atlanta to Phoenix, Arizona.
- Our plant assets are currently valued at $1,015 million.
- Peak demand in 2005 reached a gigawatt (1,000 megawatts) for the first time in our history, a record broken in January 2014 when we reached a peak demand of 1,293 megawatts.
- In 2008, Jackson EMC was recognized by J. D. Power and Associates as the highest ranking mid-sized utility in the South in customer satisfaction, as well as the highest among all utilities of any size in the United States. And in 2010 and 2011, the cooperative was again ranked highest mid-sized utility in the South in customer satisfaction. In 2012, Jackson EMC was recognized by J. D. Power and Associates as a Customer Service Champion, one of only 50 companies to earn that distinction in 2012. In 2017, Jackson EMC ranked in the top five nationally for customer satisfaction among electric utility cooperatives.
- We have experienced continuous improvement in our residential customer satisfaction rating since 1993, and currently have a 93 percent overall residential customer satisfaction rating.
- Our residential customer satisfaction rating, as compared in the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) is higher than that of such industry leaders as Coca-Cola, Publix, FedEx and Wal-Mart.
- A real-time survey of members who have recently called our Contact Center shows than an average of 92 percent felt they were treated courteously and 88 percent felt the experience was a good one.