About Heat Pumps
In Georgia’s climate, a heat pump is the most energy efficient way to heat or cool your home. Heat pumps extract heat from a source and transfers it (link to How Your Heat Pump Works). In summer, a heat pump takes heat from inside your house and sends it outside; in winter, it takes heat from the outside air and brings it inside. It can cost up to 50 percent less to operate a heat pump than an electric resistance heating system.
If your heat pump is more than 10 years old, you should consider replacing it with an ENERGY STAR®-rated model that has a SEER of 15 minimum. These high efficiency units can save up to 20 percent – and sometimes much more – on heating and cooling costs. If your current equipment needs frequent repairs and your energy bills are going up, it’s a sign that it’s time to replace your heat pump. To make sure you get the best performance, make sure your new heat pump is properly installed. Improper installation can reduce your new system’s efficiency by up to 30 percent, increasing your electric bill and possibly shortening your system’s lifespan. Before you invest in a new heat pump, make sure you have taken care of any air leaks in your house and duct system, which can be a major source of high electric use and comfort issues.
Rebates for Heat Pumps*
Jackson EMC is pleased to offer members a $400 rebate when they install an ENERGY STAR rated heat pump. (Rebates are not available for dual fuel systems.)
Qualifications for rebate:
- Newly installed heat pump must be ENERGY STAR®-rated with a 15 SEER minimum.
- New heat pump installations must replace electric or gas systems.
- Rebates are limited to two heat pumps per home.
- Heat pump must be installed at home served by Jackson EMC.
- Customer must sign Jackson EMC's member rebate application.
- Rebates are not available for dual fuel systems.
- The HVAC technician you choose will provide you with a copy of the invoice and a copy of the AHRI (Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute) Certificate.
- You may mail a copy of your rebate application, invoice and AHRI Certificate to Jackson EMC at Rebates, P.O. Box 38, Jefferson, GA 30549 or you may take these documents to your closest Jackson EMC office.
- Jackson EMC will process the rebate and mail you a check.
- A Jackson EMC representative will inspect all equipment installations before rebates are paid.
Loans for Heat Pumps**
Jackson EMC offers special financing options for members interested in upgrading to a new, energy efficient heat pump. Loans are offered in conjunction with our strategic partners and are subject to approval, and special terms and conditions.
Jackson EMC members who are planning energy efficient improvements to their homes may take advantage of 3% HomePlus Loans. Learn more about our low-interest HomePlus Loans to finance approved energy upgrades.
*Rebate program requirements must be followed. Rebates may be discontinued at any time.
**Special financing options are subject to change and may be discontinued at any time.