Commercial & Industrial FAQs

Establishing New Service

  • If I am constructing a building for my new business, when do I apply for service?

    Apply for service as soon as you have your county- or city-approved building plans so that we can connect temporary service. Then construction can proceed without any delays.

  • How is temporary service established?

    Business customers or their contractors can call or drop by one of our local offices to set up temporary service, or apply online. One of our Customer Service Representatives will be happy to help.

  • Who provides the pole for temporary service?

    The customer or the general contractor provides the pole. A Jackson EMC staking technician will make sure the pole is placed appropriately.

  • Who provides the meter for temporary service?

    Jackson EMC provides and installs the meter for temporary service, but you or your contractor purchase the meter base. Meter bases are available from your local Jackson EMC office.



  • Why do I have to become a member?

    Jackson EMC is a not-for-profit cooperative owned by the members it serves. By its charter, it can provide electricity service only to individuals and companies that are members.

  • Why do I have to pay a membership fee?

    The $5 membership fee is required to become a cooperative member. It will be added to your first month's bill.

  • What is a margin refund?

    Because we are a not-for-profit cooperative, margins – the funds left after the cooperative's expenses are paid – are repaid to our members. The cooperative's board of directors each year determines what margin refunds to pay to a mix of new and long-standing members.

  • Why does the membership application address easement rights?

    Easement rights give the cooperative your permission to install, maintain or remove equipment required to provide electrical service.


Deposits and Connection Fees

  • Why do I have to pay a deposit?

    Jackson EMC reserves the right to require deposits for business customers, based on the cooperative's financial exposure and its assessment of the customer's ability to pay their electric bill. The deposit amount is twice your business' estimated monthly electric bill, but not less than $200. In some cases, a business may file a Surety Bond or an Agreement of Surety to secure their debt for electric service in lieu of a cash deposit.

  • What if I need to change the name on my business account?

    For a new account under a new name and Social Security number or Federal Tax ID number, you will need to provide documentation. Your new account's first bill will include a new $5 membership fee and a $30 connection fee. In addition, a deposit may be required, depending on the credit rating for the new account.

  • When do I get my deposit back?

    • Commercial deposits will be returned after service is discontinued and the balance is applied to any outstanding bill.
    • If your business closes in less than two years, we apply your deposit to your final bill. If a refund is still due, a check will be mailed to your forwarding address.
    • If your business has filed for bankruptcy, the no deposit will be refunded until the account is closed.
    • If your business has filed bankruptcy and Jackson EMC has required a deposit on the new account, the deposit will not be refunded until the account is closed.
  • Why do I have to pay a connection fee when my location already has electric service?

    The $30 connection fee covers the costs of setting up your account and dispatching a meter reader to record a beginning reading for billing purposes.


Billing And Disconnection

  • How do Jackson EMC's rates compare to other electric utilities?

    Due to strategic power supply agreements and conservative management, Jackson EMC's rates are among the lowest in the country – well below the national average.

  • How are business electric rates figured?

    Most businesses are on the General Service Rate, which provides a per-kilowatt-hour charge for monthly service based on the amount of energy used and peak electrical demand, along with a service charge and Wholesale Power Cost Adjustment.

    Large businesses and manufacturers with a new facility and a connected load of more than 900 kilowatts have a one-time choice to select their power supplier. These customers may have individually negotiated rates. Large businesses may also qualify for special rates such as load management and large power service rates.

  • When will I receive my bill?

    Members' electric bills are mailed out over an average period of 28-32 days, in cycles tied to the meter reading route on which your business is located. These billing cycles determine the date your bill is mailed and due.

  • How do I pay my bill?

    • Bills are mailed out in monthly billing cycles.
    • The meter reading route determines your mailing and due dates.
    • We cannot accept requests for changes in billing cycles.
  • What happens if power is disconnected for nonpayment?

    Accounts in danger of disconnection are sent a letter stating Jackson EMC's intent to disconnect service and providing the date by which you must make payment. Without payment, service will be disconnected one day after this date.

    You will receive a courtesy call advising you of the disconnection if we have your correct phone number.

    To have service reconnected, you must:

    • request reconnection by calling or coming to a Jackson EMC office;
    • pay a reconnection fee;
    • pay other fees that may apply, such as returned check and a late payment fees;
    • pay any past due amount on your account;
    • make these payments at a Jackson EMC office between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

    We can arrange for same-day reconnection of service:

    from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays after 5 p.m., on weekends and holidays in cases of emergency. 
(An emergency reset fee applies.)

    Members whose service has been disconnected for nonpayment are required to provide a deposit of up to two times their average monthly bills, or take out a Surety Bond prior to reconnection, if an adequate deposit has not already been made.

  • What can I do if I think my power bill is too high?

    If you think your monthly bill is too high, contact a business development manager to discuss your bill and arrange an energy audit if needed.

    If you think your meter is inaccurate, call your nearest Jackson EMC office. For a fee, we will test the meter. If the meter's accuracy is outside the acceptable range, we will refund the test fee and adjust your electric bill accordingly.

If you have a question or need more information from us, please don't hesitate to contact a business development manager.