Buy Green Power
Reduce your impact on the environment by purchasing "green energy" – electricity created from renewable resources such as biomass, solar and wind energy. Commercial customers can purchase Green Power in 1,000 kilowatt-hour (kWh) per month blocks or have a percentage of their monthly energy provided by Green Power.
Reduce Energy Use
Using less energy is one of the best ways to reduce the impact your business has on the environment. Jackson EMC's Commercial and Industrial Representatives can help you find cost-effective ways to cut energy use. See Reducing Energy Use for energy-saving tips and ideas for saving on heating, cooling, lighting and production processes.
Cut Fuel Use
Reducing the use of gasoline and diesel fuel not only saves money, but also reduces pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. A few tips:
- Encourage drivers to turn off the engine if they're going to be waiting for more than a few minutes. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, idling uses a quarter to a half gallon of fuel an hour.
- Keep tires properly inflated and vehicles well-maintained,
- Encourage employees to drive less
- Support employee car pools and vanpools.
- Consider whether some employees can work from home at least a few days a week.
Recycling not only reduces waste headed for landfills, but also saves energy. For example, making aluminum products from recycled aluminum uses 95% less energy than making aluminum from virgin ore.
Visible recycling programs tell customers and employees that the company is committed to improving the environment. Recyclable office staples include printer paper, newspapers, cardboard, cans, bottles, electronic equipment, printer cartridges and fluorescent lamps. Earth 911™ has a guide for recycling programs at small and medium-sized businesses.